While it is important you don’t try to perform electrical work yourself, there are a few electrical warning signs you can look out for to ensure potential electrical issues are remedied before they become hazardous.
Note: If you notice any of the warning signs or issues listed below, contact a licensed electrician.
Do not attempt to tinker with or fix electrical issues yourself as electricity can be extremely dangerous, causing injury and in some cases death.
1. Lights that are flickering, dimming or buzzing
One of the most obvious ways to tell if there may be an issue with your electricity is by simply looking at your lights.
A tell tale sign is if they’re flickering, audibly buzzing or get dim when you turn on other appliances.
This could mean that your wiring is outdated or damaged or just can’t handle the load of electricity you are requiring for your lighting and appliances.
While lights buzzing, flickering or crackling may not seem like that big of an issue, the underlying issue causing this could result in damage over time.
2. Frequent circuit breaker trips
Circuit breaker trips every now and then due to an overload in the power grid don’t necessarily indicate an issue. However, regular trips (ie. multiple times a month) most likely means that there is an issue with your home’s electrical wiring.
It could be due to an old or faulty switchboard or wiring which should be checked immediately to avoid potential hazards.
There is also a chance that your current switchboard, wiring or electrical circuit can no longer handle the energy requirement of all your lighting and appliances.
This is actually quite common due to the increase in electrical appliances used in day to day life.
If this is the case, it could be time for an upgrade.
Furthermore, frequent electrical surges that could be the cause of your circuit breaker trips can result in damage to your appliances over time so it is important to get the problem fixed sooner rather than later.
3. Frayed or chewed wiring
Damaged wiring is a hazard and can be a huge shock and fire hazard.
It can be caused by pets, unwanted rodents, amateur handymen or simply long term wear and tear.
If you can see any signs of damaged wiring, contact an electrician to replace it to reduce the risk of hazard and keep your home and family safe.
Warm or vibrating powerpoints.
Feel for heat or vibration in the powerpoints in your home. This is a good way to check for potential issues with the wiring or electrical circuit in your home without touching any wiring and exposing yourself to potential harm.
4. Smell burning, smoky or odd odours
If you smell any burning, smoky or odd odours at powerpoints or your switchboard you have an issue. You should not be able to smell anything from them.
Any sort of burning smells means that damage may have already started to occur. In this case it is essential to have it fixed before further damage or potential injury occurs.
5. Discolouration, scorching and smoke
If you see scorching, smoke or discolouration on any of your powerpoints or your switchboard, damage has already been done. This is the most advanced electrical warning sign , your electricity is a hazard and you will need to take immediate action.
Any discolouration or scorch marks could be a sign that the wiring in your home is damaged in some way and is therefore releasing heat. Not only could that heat be an indication of a deeper issue in your electrical wiring but it could also be doing damage to your home.
In this case it’s important to book a qualified electrician to assess and repair the issue as soon as possible.
Being proactive to remedy these electrical warning signs early on will not only make you safer but could save you money as you aren’t letting the problems get worse.
Need to book an electrician to check a potential issue in your home?
Contact us on 0403 734 299 or fill out the form below to book an appointment today!